Search the site
Since moving to Meudon in 1893, Rodin purchased large Greco-Roman marbles as well as Egyptian and medieval sculptures. His collector’s addiction led him to design a new space in 1900 to protect, study and display them to visitors. He commissioned the construction of a building with an ornate ‘antique’ pediment that let in the light through high arched windows. The architecture is modelled after a sculptor’s studio, with a staircase, a mezzanine for storage at mid-level and an observation gallery. The antiques are presented as in a studio, on palettes, platforms or stands covered with fabric. This building, mirroring the work exhibited in the Pavillon de l'Alma, is an expression of Rodin’s admiration for past masters.
Vue de l'oeuvre